I-20 Information

An I-20 Certificates of Eligibility is necessary to apply for an F-1 student visa through a U.S. Consulate abroad or to maintain F-1 student status in the United States.

The University of Utah begins processing I-20s for students after they have been admitted to a degree-seeking program. Admissions to a Certificate Program does not qualify as a degree program and students are not eligible for an I-20.

If you are a continuing student requesting an initial I-20 please consult with the following guide.


These documents are not required for admission to the University of Utah. You may submit them as soon as possible, but we will not begin processing your I-20 until you have been admitted.

*Please note that if you are applying for the Spring 2022 semester and are currently located outside of the United States, seeking an F-1 student visa, we cannot guarantee the issuance of an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility if you are not officially admitted to the U nor have submitted your immigration materials to immigrationdocs@utah.edu by November 15, 2021.


Graduate students must only prove they have funding for 9 credit hours per semester in order for the University of Utah to issue an I-20. Some graduate departments have higher credit hour requirements and tuition rates.  Please check with your department for current tuition rates and fees.  You may also check current tuition rates here.

*Your actual expenses may be higher or lower than this estimate depending on your personal spending habits. Please note that the estimated cost for room and board is for living on-campus. If you will be living off-campus, please be aware that the cost of living will likely increase.

International students who are requesting an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility must provide the following documents:
  • 1. Financial Documents

    A financial (bank) statement showing a minimum of $50,021 for Undergraduate (Bachelor's degree) and a minimum of $51,949 for Graduate students (Master's & Ph.D. degrees) or the equivalent in foreign currency, to cover the estimated expenses for I-20 purposes.

    The funds should be liquid, and the statement issue date must be within the last six months (costs are subject to change). Funds may come from different financial accounts, but we recommend submitting a consolidated statement to avoid delays. History of your transactions during the last six months are NOT necessary. Please provide the ending balance only which must be dated within the last six months for I-20 issuance validity.

    Undergraduate Expenses for I-20

    Graduate Expenses for I-20

  • 2. Financial Support Documents

    Any student requiring an F-1 student visa must provide proof of funding greater than or equal to the annual estimated expense. If a student cannot provide a personal bank statement showing the required amount, the student must also have his or her sponsor submit a signed letter or affidavit of support indicating the sponsor’s intent to financially support the student.

    Download the Affidavit PDF

    - If the student has more than one sponsor, each sponsor must submit a separate, signed Affidavit of Support in addition to proof of funding.

    - Applicants being sponsored by their embassy, government, or educational agency need only submit a letter of sponsorship from the appropriate authority.

    For detailed information about financial documents please visit:

    Avoid I-20 Delays

  • 3. Passport

    A copy of the first page of your current passport.

  • 4. Sevis Transfer-In Form

    This is only required for students transferring their SEVIS record directly from another U.S. institution. The form can be found here.

    Our office will only be able to issue a new I-20 after the admitted student's SEVIS record has been released to the University of Utah. The issuance of a new I-20 may take several weeks after all immigration materials are received.  All of the documents above can be scanned and emailed directly to immigrationdocs@utah.edu.

I-20 Document Deadlines


Only for students outside the U.S
For students currently residing in the U.S


Only for students outside the U.S
For students currently residing in the U.S


Only for students outside the U.S
For students currently residing in the U.S



*Due to COVID-19, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has allowed designated school officials (DSO) to electronically sign and email I-20 Forms. If you placed an eShipGlobal order you may either cancel it and receive a refund or we can use this order in the future to resend your I-20 with a normal signature and acceptance letter. If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact us. In accordance with the University of Utah's recommendations for social distancing, the Office of Admissions is open with reduced staffing levels each day.  Please allow additional time for responses and document processing as many of our staff continue to work remotely each day.

We will resume mailing acceptance letters internationally at this time. If you have extenuating circumstances and absolutely need a soft copy of your acceptance letter, please email us at immigrationdocs@utah.edu. Otherwise, you will receive a hard copy of your official acceptance letter via mail.

Students must select a method to have their I-20 mailed to them once it has been issued. For the fastest delivery, express mail is strongly recommended.

After You Receive Your I-20


Once you have received your I-20, you can apply for your F-1 visa. To acquire this, you must fill out the online visa application, pay the non-refundable application fee, and schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (excluding citizens of Canada and Bermuda.) Follow the steps below to complete this process. For more detailed information and guidelines, we suggest visiting the Study in the States Website and U.S. Visa Exchange Website.

  • Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee

    1. Pay the non-refundable application SEVIS I-901 Fee

    - Only students with a new SEVIS number are required to pay the fee
    - Print the receipt as proof of payment for your visa interview

  • Online Visa Application

    2. Complete the Online Visa Application

    - Once completed, print the application form confirmation page to bring to your visa interview
    - You will be required to upload a photo to complete the application

  • 3. Schedule Visa Interview

    Schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Be sure to take all required documents with you to the interview, including:

    - Passport
    - Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160)
    - Application Fee payment receipt
    - I-20 Certificate of Eligibility
    - Additional documents may be required. Review instructions on the website of the Embassy or Consulate where you will apply.

  • 4. Register for International Student Orientation

    All international students (F-1 or J-1 student visa) are required to attend International Student Orientation during their first semester at the University of Utah. Additionally, students who have not been enrolled at the University for three consecutive semesters or more must attend this orientation again. For more information, please visit the International Student and Scholar Services website.