Main Nav 1

Residency for Tuition Purposes

Fall 2022 applications are now open!

Read on to learn about the University of Utah residency policies, exceptions, requirements and deadlines.

More About Residency

I am a(n)...

Undergraduate Student

Need more information?

Graduate Student

Need more information?

American Indian Student

Need more information?

Olympic Student

Need more information?

USHE Transfer Student

Need more information?

Active Military or Veteran Student or Dependent

Need more information?

Utah High School Graduate

Need more information?

Residency Reclassification Application Deadline by Semester


Fall Semester


Spring Semester


Summer Semester

Term Deadlines to Submit Application / Certification / Military Forms

Please submit your residency form by the specified deadline for the term you are requesting residency, after which you can submit additional required documentation.

Please Note: We cannot guarantee a decision by the tuition due date for applications submitted after the deadline.

Term Deadlines to Establish Domiciliary Ties


Spring Semester


Summer Semester


Fall Semester

If you are applying under the Undergraduate Policy (One Year Rule) or Graduate Policy, you must establish your Utah domiciliary ties by the tie establishment deadline for your requested term of residency:

  • Driver’s license
  • Voter registration
  • Vehicle registration

Please Note: If ties are not established by the deadline, you may be required to provide additional Utah ties.

Residency Information Sessions

Applying for residency reclassification for Fall 2022?

Register for a presentation/Q&A session outlining the new residency requirements.

More sessions and resources to come.

Recorded Information Session

Unable to join us live? Watch our recorded information session on the Undergraduate Policy at your convenience and reach out to the Residency Office with any questions.

Watch Recorded Residency Info Session

Mandatory Reading for All Residency Reclassification Applicants

  1. University of Utah Institutional Policy on Residency Determination for Tuition Purposes
  2. Board of Regents R512 Policies and Procedures
  3. Utah State Law, 53B-8-102

There are different tuition rates for Utah residents and non-residents based on Utah State Law, 53B-8-102 and Board of Regents R512 Policy.

Your initial residency classification will be determined when your admissions application is reviewed.

  • Your official letter of acceptance will include your classification.
  • If you are classified as a non-resident but meet the requirements for a policy or exception for resident status, you may apply to change your status.

The resources listed above describe the various ways in which you may be eligible for in-state (resident) tuition under the provisions of Utah state law.

  • These documents explain the general rule of the law and exceptions that may allow you to waive the time requirement and apply for residency immediately.
  • Review these materials carefully.
  • Non-residents eligible for reclassification must submit a complete reclassification, certification, or military form by the applicable term deadline with all required supporting documentation.

Per University of Utah policy, incoming graduate students, including those in the Medical and Law programs, may apply under the Undergraduate policy or any other policy if they qualify prior to the start of their graduate studies.

  • Graduate students who begin their graduate program as a non-resident are only eligible to reclassify under the Graduate policy, which includes completing 40 graduate-level semester hours prior to reclassification.
  • Medical students are held to the policies of the School of Medicine.
  • Law students are ineligible to reclassify after beginning their program.
  • Dental students admitted as non-residents are ineligible for reclassification at any time.
  • The only exceptions to Graduate, Medical, Law, and Dental residency policy are for students proving eligibility through military or American Indian exceptions, or the House Bill 144 tuition waiver as described below.

Need Assistance?

Residency Office Contact Information

(801) 581-8761, Option 5